Saturday, July 11, 2015

Epoxy Resin and Possible Toxicity

Epoxy resin makes amazing and mysterious images, yet I am not working with resin at this time, and I don't have a plan of working with resin in the future. Epoxy is a high maintenance art material, and there is always uncertainty of safety, as the toxic element can penetrate through rubber gloves and also through the skin and eyes in the form of fumes. And the toxic effect is silent, so the resin users most likely will not have noticeable symptoms.  Supposedly the catalyst enters our bodies and stay there, and it may harm liver. But I really don't have an accurate information, yet I don't think it's very healthy to use unless you have an access to facility with commercial ventilation system.